Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I Love You, Singapore... With Love, Philippines (Days 3 and 4)

So, what's next?

I had heard from some little bird that there existed a chic mall called Millenia Walk, which is located at Raffles Boulevard. Tita, meanwhile, was mooning over the Singapore Flyer. Without any distinct plan in mind, we traveled to Temasek Avenue, stopping at Promenade MRT. 

I had no expectations as to what the premises along Raffles Boulevard and Temasek Avenue actually were, but if you mean business district, I think it really is. All the men there were wearing coat and tie, and the women were looking chic with their semi-formal or formal office attire. I don't know if I can compare this place to Makati because I had only passed that way once (and I am not residing in NCR), but nevertheless, I can feel the corporate vibe of the people around me. 

Indeed, from that spot, we spied on the Flyer from afar. We wondered how far it really was because one can just walk around and reach the destination without intending to. Because we were on vacation, we did not feel it was already time for lunch, as our stomachs were not grumbling. Because time was too honest, I saw on my watch it was eleven in the morning, so we checked around the premises for some affordable restaurants. We came to a restaurant, and I forgot the name, but we ordered noodles. If I could remember mine, the noodles had chicken and tofu in curry-and-coconut-milk soup. Trust me, it's delicious and affordable. 

Next stop was the Millenia Walk. There were less people walking around, maybe because it was a Monday. I am not sure of the Singaporeans' lunch time habits, so I could not really say anything other than what I had actually observed. Anyway, the mall was so chic it reminded me of our Ayala mall here (in my own honest opinion). After cruising this Walk, we literally walked out of the building to start looking for a way to the Flyer. Anyway, we passed by the architecture (uhm, the quadrupod?) that is near Suntec City Mall, and I could say, can I congratulate the genius behind that concept?

Next was the walk under the sun. Though the day was not as hot as I thought it would be, I still brought my umbrella, as I always do. Too bad, my umbrella got broken because of the strong wind, so we had to walk under the heat of the sun. We walked along Bayfront Avenue all the way to Marina Bay Sands, but the three-towered edifice was not our destination. It was the Gardens By The Bay. We paid tickets for the shuttle tour, and it was that magical shuttle ride that brought us inside the vicinity. It was Tita who still had some energy left to stroll around, while I stayed at the benches to relax my tired feet. I was able to get to know a family from Indonesia, and it was the mother whom I had talked with. They were in Singapore for a slight vacation, but they would be traveling back to Malaysia that evening. Later on, they went out ahead of us, and I strolled only a bit to look for the basic structures like the stores (where I can buy water) and the restroom. I only got to read the must-sees in the Gardens from the flyer that I had. Two days of intense walking was never enough, so if I will be going back to Singapore, I'll go tour the Gardens. After an hour or so (I guess), Tita went back to the benches, so we went out of the Gardens and walked all the way out. Too bad, we were never able to get to the Flyer.

As we walked on, we realized we were able to reach the Art Science Museum, a building that looks like a giant lotus. Indeed, the building itself is a work of art. Outside the building, there was this man-made "pond" filled with lotus. It was my first time to see real lotus flowers in my entire life! No kidding! Anyway, because walking was all we had been doing, Tita pointed at the Merlion from afar. I thought the Merlion was at Sentosa Island, so we went to the thingamajig (I forgot the term, it was some kind of a mini port) where one can go cruising by boat. We asked for a way to go across to the Merlion, and the personnel told us of the $20 trip. Later on, a Filipino staff also told us of the $3 cruise (it's on him, he said) where we just cross up to the Merlion. The $20 trip was going across to Merlion Park and more cruising. We just wanted the way to Merlion Park, so we chose the cheaper alternative.

Finally, we were able to behold the great Merlion at the Merlion Park. Behind the giant statue was a lesser version. There were crowds of people taking pictures here and there, and to our surprise, the Indonesian family was there! It was a happy reunion! We talked a bit before resuming to taking pictures of Merlion.

Anyway, after the Merlion escapade, we traversed Raffles Place and took the MRT to Outram MRT to Harbourfront MRT. Tita and I strolled around the Harbourfront Mall to look for something to eat or drink, and to look for a way to get to Sentosa. While walking, I found the Etude House kiosk. How happy I was! Etude House is my favorite Korean beauty shop. Though there are three Etude House shops here in the city where I live in, it is still exciting to see the shop in Singapore. And though I am never a fan of SHINee or any SM Entertainment artists (because I am a YG Entertainment and FNC Entertainment fan), I was still able to recognize Choi Min Ho. We inquired about the monorail ride and the cable car ride at the information counter, but because we were on a shoestring budget (even if we can afford it), we decided to walk all the way to Sentosa Island for just a dollar.

Well, well, well. So started our journey. While the escalators at Changi airport and at the MRT stations were extremely fast, the escalator to Sentosa Island was extremely--to the millionth power-- slow. I think this is because this would allow visitors to enjoy the sights and take pictures all they want. If we had the energy, we could have walked without using the escalator, for there were also cool places at the seaside where we can stop and take pictures.

Finally, we were able to enter Sentosa Island. I had seen pictures of people posing in front of the Universal Studio globe, and it was one of my dreams to see the globe for myself. Finally! I was able to get a picture of it! Aside from the Merlion at Sentosa Island, it was also an evidence that I had actually been there. Even with the little spark of energy left, Tita went around to look for the Merlion, but I was in no mood to go further because I was already thirsty and tired, so I just hung out at the vicinity near the Universal Studio globe. Far ahead, I saw the Hershey's Chocolate World. Though I know there are lots of stores here in the Philippines selling Hershey's chocolates, being in a Hershey store is a must-have experience.

Need I say more? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ


Hershey's Chocolate World... a paradise for a chocolate lover like me.


After the Sentosa field trip, Tita and I crawled--joke, walked out and went back to Harbourfront, were we rode the MRT to Outram, and rode another one to Lavender MRT. Good thing, there was a 24-hour food court near the Lavender MRT station, so Tita and I ate in silence. Afterwards, our tired bodies walked all the way back to the hostel to rest.

While winding down for sleep, we were able to meet Anika (I am not sure if this is the spelling), a girl from Germany. We were in awe because she dared to travel to Singapore all by herself. It was her plan to travel around Southeast Asia because of the book that she brought along. But I am not sure if she will be visiting the Philippines, but if she will, I will really want to meet her and ask her regarding her expeditions. By the way, Singapore was her first Southeast Asian destination.

****

Day 4 was our final day in Singapore.

Tita went back to Raffles Place because of an errand, and she went back to the Merlion Park to get a good shot of the Merlion. Because I was tired, I decided to stay at the hostel and enjoy the free Internet.

Finally, at ten-thirty in the morning, we said our goodbyes to the staff. I remembered it was Nesty and another Filipino staff at the counter. Like the other guests who left their "footprints," Tita and I also left a note, and had our pictures taken, Nesty with us. (Sorry, I will not post the pic with Nesty because I want to hide my face ^_^).



We walked all the way to Lavender MRT on to Changi Airport. Unlike the first day, we were able to get a glimpse of the other places going to the airport because the railway was out in the open. The sights were spellbinding, and it took my breath away. 대박!

Anyway, our good times in Singapore were coming to an end, so we savored our last hours there taking pictures at the other sights at Changi Airport that we had not seen in the first day. We took our chow at McDonald's, and I did some final shopping in one chocolate store, where I found another Filipino staff. Heart happy!

I thought, it was time to get back to reality, but I know that someday, I will be going back to Singapore. Who knows? I might go there to stroll or even to watch another CN Blue concert! I will put South Korea's Jeju Island in my bucket list, but Singapore is where I want to go back.

To go back to stroll more and to meet friends. And if I will go back, I want to go visit/stay at Green Kiwi Backpackers Hostel.

This walking diary ends her blog entry here, so, see you soon!


좋은 하루 되세요!

No comments:

Post a Comment