Tuesday, December 25, 2012

When "Piccolo" Is More Than Just A Wind Instrument

I am not talking about a character from the anime "Dragon Ball Z" either. 

I am talking about a firecracker that has been the hazardous toy of kids during the Christmas season. Despite the warnings sent by the Department of Health every year, many kids (and grownups) still do not heed. And lo! They get injuries of all sorts.

So much for the weird title, though.

Anyway, when most people were staying up late to greet Christmas day, my family and I slept early. What is more important to us than staying up late and playing with dangerous firecrackers is the Holy Mass on Christmas Day.

The abundance of food and the expensive gifts do not make Christmas special. This day is special because it is Jesus Christ's birthday. He as God came into the world in man's image in order to save us. 

For many Filipinos, Christmas is a time of giving, sharing, and loving. The song "Give Love On Christmas Day" is not just a cliche. It is true. My Aunt, Uncle, and cousins dropped by to give their gifts, and we invited them for some snacks because they would not stay for lunch. They had their own agenda too. But the highlight of our gathering was inviting a poor neighbor, the son of my godmother.

He had been staying in the mountain for long to study, and he only goes down the mountain to the city during vacation days. For the rest of the year, he and his mother would only be eating vegetables and fish. When they have no money at all, he would go out of his way to look for meager jobs in order to earn money to get by. My mother used to say that when my neighbor was in his early years of high school, he would catch some spiders to sell. That's how poor his life has been. For us, inviting him for a Christmas lunch will make it memorable for him, that, at least, even just a few days in a year, he could feel love and he could feel comfort.

I don't mind receiving gifts and stuffing my mouth with lots of food anymore. Just seeing him with a smile and contented with our simple meal is a great accomplishment already.

Another great accomplishment for me is cooking a Korean dish called tteokbokki. I had been wanting to cook this for the longest time, and finally, I made it! ^_^

Christmas tteokbokki ^_^

메리 크리스마스입니다!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment